Friday, October 18, 2019

Medicine Walk

A good friend of mine gave me a book when he retired from teaching. Medicine Walk by Richard Wagamese is a powerful story about a boy (16 years old) who is summoned by his father (who he does not really know) to come and take him up into the mountains of norther Canada to die.  Sounds pretty upbeat, huh?  I am 110 pages in and have to say that the book is incredibly well-written and very deeply beautiful (and hard).  My own father passed away two years ago yesterday.  I visited his grave with my own two boys and we talked about our memories of "gramps."  As I read this book, I can't help be think about how I can best honor those people in my life who are older and wiser than me.  If I slow down and actually take the time to listen, perhaps I will be able to gain some of the vast depths of wisdom that they have to offer.  Deep read.  Good read.  Keep reading, friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment